Equipment Operator I - Drainage Maintenance - Road and Bridge
Company: County of Volusia
Posted on: January 15, 2022
The County of Volusia is seeking an Equipment Operator I for the
Drainage Task Teamin the Road and Bridge Division. This position is
located at various locations throughout Volusia County and will be
responsible for semi-skilled work in operating the less complex
types of automotive equipment. An employee in this class will
operate a tractor, dump, flatbed, or similar basic truck or single
chassis automotive equipment, frequently with mechanical
NOTE:This position requires the ability to swim.
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various
types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not
exclude them from the position.)
- Operates tractor equipped with a sickle bar, or pulling moving
machinery and equipment.
- Operates trucks (less than 10 wheels) with gross weight over
8,000 pounds, including dump, flatbed, tank wagon.
- Drives fuel truck to various parts of the county; service
equipment with fuel.
- Occasionally may operate small gasoline powered machinery such
as cement mixers, air compressors and hammers, pumping equipment,
- Sets flags and barricades.
- Participates generally in the laboring work of the
- Performs daily safety inspections of assigned equipment prior
to and after use.
- Performs routine service and maintenance.
- Attends work on a continuous and regular basis.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Completion of the eighth (8th) grade, and at least one (1) year of
experience in the operation and routine maintenance of light to
medium trucks or similar equipment.
Must possess a valid Florida driver's license at time of
appointment and maintain thereafter.
Possession of a valid Florida CDL of a class determined by the
division/department of assignment within 6 months of
A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be
substituted for the minimum qualifications. Knowledge, Skills &
- Knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and use of dump and
flatbed or tractors, and of the less complex public works
- Knowledge of traffic and other regulations governing the use of
equipment throughout the County.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards involved and the safety
precautions necessary in the operation of equipment.
- Ability to make emergency repairs to motor driven
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written
- Skilled in the safe operation of flatbed and dump trucks,
tractors, mowing attachments, and the less complex construction
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to interact effectively with others.
- Must be able to relocate to other county locations based upon
Physical Demands:Ability to push, pull and lift up to 75 lbs (arm
and leg), pull, reach, climb, visual acuity (depth perception,
peripheral vision) necessary to operate a motorized vehicle; sit,
turn (neck, body), handle.
Environmental Demands:(Demands may change depending on
division/department and equipment of assignment.) Outside work.
Exposure to inclement weather (heat, humidity, cold, rain), fumes,
odors, noise, vibration, dust, poor ventilation.
Mental Demands:Ability to read and comprehend operational and
safety instructions, procedures, rules, policies, warnings, and
memos. Ability to write simple sentences relaying information,
data, and details. Ability to perform basic math.
Volusia County is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity
Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Veterans' preference in
accordance with federal, state, local laws.
Keywords: County of Volusia, Deltona , Equipment Operator I - Drainage Maintenance - Road and Bridge, Professions , Deland, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!