The County of Volusia is seeking a Recreation Aide - Adult
Softball Umpire for the Parks, Recreation & CultureDivision.This is
a Part-Time position (6 - 10 games per week, Monday through
Thursday most weeks to include one Saturday and Sunday in December
for the Winter tournament)located at the Robert Strickland Parkin
Daytona Beach, Florida and will be responsible forumpiring adult
softball games in a county sponsored recreation league under
(NOTE:These are intended only as illustrations of the various
types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not
exclude them from the position.)
- Umpires adult softball games.
- Assists in conducting recreational activities and preparation
- Assist in enforcing rules and regulations.
- Assists in light maintenance of facilities and recreational
- Handles inquiries and complaints from players/teams.
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
- May be assigned to other office locations based on operational
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from high school or completion of a GED or the High
School Equivalency Program (HEP).Must be at least 18 years of age,
should have USSSA/ISA/ASA/FHSAA (United Specialty Sports
Association/Independent Softball Association/Amateur Softball
Association/Florida High School Activities Association
certification or 1 year experience umpiring in recreational league
Note: Must pass required background check and physical.
Salary: 30.00 per game
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to establish and maintain effective, courteous
relationship with players, managers, and co-workers.
- Able to tactfully enforce rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of recreational field.Knowledge of activity rules and
- Able to work flexible hours.
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in
- Able to work under stressful conditions
- Able to interact effectively with others.
- Must be able to relocate to other county locations based upon
Physical Demands: Use of fingers, hands, good vision, depth
perception, hearing, speaking, walking, standing, kneeling,
bending, balancing, stooping and reaching above shoulder.
Environmental Demands:Outside work, exposure to inclement
weather (sun, heat, humidity, cold, rain, noise, and dust).
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend professional
manuals, procedures, and instructions. Ability to write compound
sentences relating information, data, details to layman. Ability to
perform basic mathematical functions. Ability to speak clearly and
concisely; conversant in practices and procedures of discipline for